Tuesday, April 9, 2013

CRUXIFIED

Today happens to be the very best day of my life...i have my peace,my joy,my inner peace and lasting happiness is here to stay. i no longer know nothing,now i know everything.my babies are laying in their cots,healthy and happy. they cant even imagine what am going through but i watched as my mother nursed and watched over them with so much love and tenderness. How sweet and selfless is the love of a mother. Grandmothers are special,no wonder my friend use to tell me that grandmothers are the only ones who treated us like we were all that really mattered. As she watched them,i saw the love in her eyes. Blossom and Bounty were all that mattered now,all others were irrelevant. Grand children mean so much to our parents yo know.
I was born with what i call the wooden spoon,you may never understand.but be it obeche,iroko,mousonia or mohagany,a wood can never survive the fire.it may take some time for some wood but it eventually burns.i was the 3rd of seven children and 2nd daughter. my father lived,breath,swam and jobbed on alchohol.he was a welder while my mother had a shop in front of our neigbourhood.she was known as mama Emeka but due to lack of finances.Emeka was sent to learn a trade in the big city of onitsha when he was 12 while my sister Nnenna was sent to Enugu city to live with some woman we never met. I Nneka,Ifeanyi,Amechi,Obum and Azuka were with our parents. feeding was such a luxry how much more clothing and other extras. we all remained in the village until i was also sent to leave with another woman.i remember how cruel our father could be to us and our mother,how he use to come home dead drunk harassing everybody and blaming our mother for his poverty. how he had a motocycle before they got married and now he has nothing. All of us would burst into tears and cry the whole night.Our hypertensive mother will fall ill for days and we would all pray he would just die in his snoring sleep. sure,the role of your father remains significant in your life even if he was absent from it.we all grew up and after some years,Emeka was sent home for stealing his masters money,just a year to his settlement. He actually sent that money to us one of the times our mother was in the hospital.he came home a changed man,smoking drinking and loafing about. Nnenna was sent home pregnant.....she said she was raped by her aunty's husband.it was war when she came back and in an attempt to hide the truth,she went for an abortion and died. my mother went out of reach as we battled for her life too. in a clash of fury Emeka pushed our father and he slumped to death. we had two corpses to bury in one day.
Now i was sent to the city this time to live with a distant cousin,i was nearly killed and defiled but i actually survived all the home misdemeanors until i got to school and met Ebere.we met during a youth program organised by the local government in my school.''SAY NO TO PREMARITAL SEX''.she kept on arguing all the speakers where saying and i admired her courage.so somehow we became friends and soon we were birds of the same feathers. she would take me to visit some of her male friends and we would drink to forget the ill treatments i faced at home. And it was there i met and fell in love with Okey,he told me all the beautiful things i have never heard before.he would give me 200naira when am going back home.he would call me Nne'm,my only Nne.i was so happy and knew the joy that sprang up from the inside,deep down the root of love.i would read his letters a thousand times in the middle of the night and missed school some days just to spend some time with him. i felt like i was in heaven.the flowers,letters,my broken cherry and the money i felt was like millions really made my day but not until i travelled home for christmas and what i feared most came upon me.just like my sister,I WAS PREGNANT...my mother was the first to notice and wailed down our neigbourhood. Emeka beat me up until i lost conciousness.just before i could say Nne,i was traditionally married off to okey at 15 and the truth began to unfold.he was an apprentice just like my elder brother Emeka.i got the shock of my life.the house he was always taking me to was his friend's house.infact,he was living with his master,in the boys quarter.then like a tree,my pain grew with each passing day.he would beat me to pulp,till i bleed.he would starve me and lock me out of the house under the rain for days,he denied me access to health care and all forms of comfort.As days grew into months i was left with just a blouse and wrapperas none of my clothes were still my size.I had no means of communication,no friends,no external interaction.Nothing.Labour pains were unbearable as it was one of the days he never came home but thank God for his rest and peace that money cannot buy.i was delivered of a set of twins,a boy and girl that came with so much happiness. I named them Blossom and Bounty.my legcy,my only foot prints.I had them,i slept and never woke up.my mother was so heartbroken but now she is here and my kids will be fine.
Today is my funeral,i have found lasting peace in the arms of my creator.my children are safe with my mother as much as am safe with God,hoping that everything pain i felt has been erased as i may have lived a bad life not well celebrated but i have had two generations with a chance of correction.
Most definitely,premarital sex sure has a glaring way of terminating your future and stopping your growth.it has nothing to do with government,it begins with the family,the religious houses,the school,the social medias,the kind of friends you cling to and of course most importantly,it begins with you.You are in charge of your life forever and every choice you make shapes your life in all areas.
Good night and i hope you learnt a thing or two from my story...............




say no to unprotected premarital sex,
child abuse,sexual abuse,teenage unplanned pregnancy,
unsafe abortion and all risky behaviours.

No comments: